New Install Error: Unexpected token import, cannot read property

Just performed a fresh installation with node, meteor, reaction-cli and reaction init. When first connecting to localhost:3000, encountering the error (Chrome or Opera):

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token import
es5-shim.js:17 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘meteorInstall’ of undefined
at es5-shim.js:17
at es5-shim.js:2793
promise.js:17 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘meteorInstall’ of undefined
at promise.js:17
at promise.js:586
… and it just keeps going …

I’ve tried a fresh installation on both MacOS and Linux (Linux Mint), with the same results.

I believe it is tied to some node module incompatibility.

Base installation versions are:
Node: 6.11.3
NPM: 3.10.10
Meteor Node: 4.8.4
Meteor NPM: 4.6.1
Reaction CLI: 0.11.0
Reaction: 1.4.1
Reaction branch: master

Can you confirm that you have successfully installed all of Reaction’s node_modules? Does running meteor npm install finish without any errors?

Hi, I’m experiencing the same problem as @wfdeller on a fresh install.
I’ve got no error while running reaction init, neither running meteor npm install afterwards.

Running ‘meteor npm install’ displays nothing and exits with a return code of zero (no errors). I’ve also tried performing ‘reaction init testapp’ to create a separate installation of Reaction Commerce with the same results.

For the new ‘testapp’ installation, here is the ‘reaction --version’ output:

Node: 6.11.3
NPM: 3.10.10
Meteor Node: 4.8.4
Meteor NPM: 4.6.1
Reaction CLI: 0.11.0
Reaction: 1.4.1
Reaction branch: master

One message display during executing ‘reaction’ is that there is a meteor upgrade from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2. I will be trying that shortly.

Performing a ‘meteor update’ to 1.5.2 also completes cleanly without any error and the browser still displays the same blank page. Not sure what else to try now - it seems strange, but assume that the issue is some node_module is failing to load, but I cannot find any indication of where the error is occurring.

By running reaction debug, I discovered there was a missing module named react-addons-shallow-compare.
meteor npm install --save react-addons-shallow-compare solved the problem.

that fixed my issue - thanks!